Disgraced former UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones might not return to the mixed martial arts promotion, following his indefinite suspension due to a hit-and-run accident in Albuquerque late last month.
According to Jones’ manager Malki Kawa, Jones is possibly done as far as the UFC is concerned. In an interview with MMA journalist Ariel Helwani, Kawa said that it “could very well be the last time we’ve seen Jon Jones” in UFC. “I think Jon Jones is gonna focus on Jon Jones,” said Kawa. “I think he’s gonna take the time to do whatever he’s got to do. And if it’s the last time we’ve seen him fight, it’s the last time we’ve seen him fight. And I’m OK with that.”
Kawa added that if Jones doesn’t return to mixed martial arts, it will simply be because “he doesn’t want to come back to the sport.” “Whatever he decides is the reason why he won’t come back to the sport, but it’ll be solely on him,” he added. “’I’m not gonna blame anything or anyone for anything Jon Jones does. And no one, at the same token, can take credit for anything Jon Jones does. Everything that’s Jon Jones’ is Jon Jones’. The good, the bad and the ugly.’
Jones, 27, held the UFC light heavyweight title since 2011 and had successfully defended his championship against all comers, building up a reputation as arguably the best pound-for-pound mixed martial artist in the sport. But after he turned himself in following a car collision that injured a pregnant woman, Jones was stripped of his title, suspended indefinitely with immediate effect, and removed from his title defense against Anthony Johnson at UFC 187 on May 23. Jones has since been replaced by Daniel Cormier, his opponent at UFC 182.